David Fetter wrote:
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 09:59:14AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Dimitri Fontaine <dfonta...@hi-media.com> writes:
Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
The rearrangement might be marginally nicer from a code
beautification point of view --- right now we're a bit
inconsistent about whether datatype-specific hash functions live
in hashfunc.c or in the datatype's utils/adt/ file.  But I'm not
sure that removing hashfunc.c altogether is an appropriate
solution to that, not least because of the loss of CVS history
for the functions.  I'd be inclined to leave the core hash_any()
code where it is, if not all of these functions altogether.
I guess someone has to talk about it: git will follow the code
even when the file hosting it changes.
That might possibly be relevant a year from now; it is 100%
irrelevant to a change being proposed for 8.4.

It's pretty relevant as far as the schedule goes.  I'm not alone
thinking that the appropriate place to make this change, given
buildfarm support, is at the transition to 8.5.

CVS is dead.  Long live git! :)

That still misses Tom's point, since the change is proposed for 8.4 and at the earliest we would not change SCCMs until after 8.4 is released (and, notwithstanding your eagerness, I suspect it will be rather later).

cheers

andrew