On May 23, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
vacuums everything. ISTM it'd be useful to be able to just vacuum all
databases in a cluster, so I hacked it into vacuumdb.

I think you meant "ISTM it'd be useful to be able to just analyze all
databases in a cluster".

Heh. "Oops".

Of course, using a command called vacuumdb is rather silly, but I don't see a reasonable way to deal with that. I did change the name of the functions
from vacuum_* to process_*, since they can vacuum and/or analyze.

The only thing I see missing is the checks for invalid combinations of options, which I'm thinking should go in the function rather than in the option parsing section. But I didn't want to put any more effort into this
if it's not something we actually want.

It does seem somewhat useful to be able to analyze all databases
easily from the command-line, but putting it into vacuumdb is
certainly a hack.
So... do we want a completely separate analyzedb command? That seems like far overkill.

Arguably there are yet other things you'd want to do across an entire cluster, so perhaps what we really want is a 'clusterrun' or 'clustercmd' command?

(By the way, we don't allow C++ style comments.)
Yeah, was being lazy since they're just temporary TODOs.

I wonder if we ought not to find a way to make pg_migrator
automatically do some of these things after starting up the database.
Sure, pg_migrator is what started this, but it's completely orthogonal to the lack of a "analyze everything" command.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  deci...@decibel.org