On May 28, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Greg Stark <st...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
Is that really a complete answer? How do we deal with upgrading an
extension to a more recent version? What happens to objects in the
database which depend on objects from the extension?

Well, if it's only a code change then you install a newer version of the
.so and you're done.  If the extension upgrade requires altering any
SQL-level properties of the module's objects then I'd expect the
extension author to provide a SQL script to do that.

It would be convenient for me a module/extension author not to have to write upgrade scripts for every version of my module/extension.

Obviously there is value in being able to do things like add new objects
to an existing module, but we hashed out the mechanisms for that long
ago.  IIRC the proposed syntax was along the lines of

        CREATE EXTENSION foo;

        BEGIN EXTENSION foo;

        ... anything created here is automatically tagged as belonging
            to foo ...

        END EXTENSION foo;

I like it.

Best,