Floris,

The website this setup is for has been running various previous versions
of PostgreSQL with fsync=off since 2005.
So I still expect it to work.

You've been lucky, that's all.

Our documentation has been clear, back to version 7.0, that turning fsync=off carries the risk that you will have to recreate your entire database in the event of unexpected shutdown. That's not new.

So, the operative question is: was 8.4 shut down with -immediate or otherwise unexpectedly? If so, then we don't have a bug. If 8.4 was never shut down, then we have some strange behavior which bears looking into. And you've found a wierd corner case, which is what we count on our users for.

Thanks for testing.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.