On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

There are also a number of documentation issues open, particularly
Dimitri's work on documenting the GIST API better, but we can work
on those later.  We've never considered that the RC freeze applies
to documentation.

I had a question in this area actually. I'm working on making a mini version of http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server under "Server Configuration" in the docs. Basically, make a new section titled "Performance Optimization" that provides a short list of values to tune for better performance. We've got plenty of evidence it's hard to figure out which of the knobs in the resource/query sections are the big important ones, and which sound cool but tend to be less useful.

If I got that done over the next week or two, would that still be early enough to make it into 8.4? We've made a lot of progress in the last year building community consensus in this area, and I'd like to get at least an intro to that into the official docs.

--
* Greg Smith gsm...@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD