* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
> As I look at this, another problem is that it seems to me that you're
> assuming that VARDATA_ANY() will return an aligned pointer, which
> isn't necessarily the case (see src/include/postgres.h).

I believe you need to look at it more carefully.  I don't think it's
making any such assumption.  Specifically, it has three loops; an "until
we're aligned" loop, then a "while we're aligned", and a "when we've
done all the aligned we could do".

On the flip side, I am curious as to if the arguments to a stored
procedure are always aligned or not.  Never had a case to care before,
but if palloc() is always going to return an aligned chunk of memory
(per MemSetAligned in c.h) it makes me wonder.

        Thanks,

                Stephen