Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
AFAIK that's an "autonomous transaction", at least to some other RDBMSs.

Right, but since I had to ask what that was recently I though I'd use a bit more description :-)

Yes, but some other followups suggest that maybe a "named transaction"
does something else entirely.  Thus my request for a definition of what
the OP is actually asking for.

According to the (hard to find) Firebird docs (or rather, the old Interbase docs, which is all they have):

   A single application can start simultaneous transactions. InterBase
   extends transaction
   management and data manipulation statements to support transaction
   names, unique
   identifiers that specify which transaction controls a given
   statement among those
   transactions that are active.

   Transaction names must be used to distinguish one transaction from
   another in programs
   that use two or more transactions at a time. Each transaction
   started while other
   transactions are active requires a unique name and its own SET
   TRANSACTION statement.
   SET TRANSACTION can include optional parameters that modify a
   transaction’s behavior.

   There are four steps for using transaction names in a program:
   1. Declare a unique host-language variable for each transaction
   name. In C and
   C++, transaction names should be declared as long pointers.
   2. Initialize each transaction name to zero.
   3. Use SET TRANSACTION to start each transaction using an available
   transaction
   name.
   4. Include the transaction name in subsequent transaction management and
   data manipulation statements that should be controlled by a specified
   transaction.

cheers

andrew