Tom Lane wrote:
I see buildfarm member "canary" (NetBSD 1.6) was recently resurrected,
but is failing to build HEAD, because msgfmt fails like this:

po/es.po:8039: keyword "msgid_plural" unknown
po/es.po:8036: missing `msgstr' section
po/es.po:8039: parse error

This indicates (1) canary needs a newer version of gettext, and
(2) our configure test for a sufficiently new gettext installation
is not in fact correct, because it didn't complain.

NetBSD has an odd mix of a BSD libintl and GNU msgfmt, so the library provides both ngettext and bind_textdomain_codeset, but that has no implications about what msgfmt supports.

pgf...@netbsd:~$ msgfmt --version
msgfmt (GNU gettext) 0.10.35

Also, the man page for libintl says, "bind_textdomain_codeset() does not work at this moment (always fail)."

So perhaps this platform is just a lost cause.