On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:27 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

   # Failed test 148
   #     Number of columns differs between queries
   #         have: 4 columns
   #         want: 3 columns

   # Failed test 149
   #     Column types differ between queries
   #         have: (integer,text)
   #         want: (inet,text)

This gives the tester a lot of information to help diagnose the test failure. I don't know that I can gather that kind of information, though.

Actually, I can for `set_eq()`, since it creates a temporary table, I can just get the list of types from the system catalog. Is there a way to get a RECORD object to tell me what data types it contains? Then I could use the same error for both situations, since the difference in the number of columns is implicit in the list of data types:

   # Failed test 148
   #     Column types differ between queries
   #         have: (integer,text,integer)
   #         want: (inet,text)

   # Failed test 149
   #     Column types differ between queries
   #         have: (integer,text)
   #         want: (inet,text)

Thanks,

David