Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Mayer <rm...@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Where did you see 8.4 was scheduled to be released around the start of
the year?  I never never seen that and would have disputed anyone saying
it publicly.

I think people carefully avoided the word "scheduled", but the
press FAQ on www.postgresql.org did say to expect it in Q4 08.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-02/msg01265.php
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/faq
   Q: When will 8.4 come out?
   A: Historically, PostgreSQL has released approximately
      every 12 months and there is no desire in the community
      to change from that pattern. So expect 8.4 sometime in
      the fourth quarter of 2008.

Whoever wrote that certainly didn't ask any of the core hackers about
the phrasing.

Thtat change was done as part of the website changes for the 8.3 release which we usually get through Josh(who is usually creating the presskits).The relevant commit message would be: https://pgweb.postgresql.org/changeset/1888.

Stefan