David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Jul 7, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

I'd personally be perfectly happy with a community decision to desupport
7.4 now, or perhaps after the next set of update releases (which we're
probably overdue for, BTW).  We cannot support an indefinitely large set
of back branches, and a five-year lifespan seems about right to me.

I had kind of thought it was five active versions, which translates to more or less the same thing. In that case, 7.4 would shortly be dropped. So I ask:

1. Should 7.4 be dropped after the release of 7.4.26?

2. Should there be an articulated, published maintenance policy? Or, at least, a prominent list saying, "these are the versions we actively support as of now"?

One thing I think we really should do is give prominent public notice of any EOL for a branch. At least a couple of months, preferably. If the lifetime were absolutely fixed it might not matter so much, but as it isn't I think we owe that to our users.

cheers

andrew