Le 7 juil. 09 à 21:12, Tom Lane a écrit :
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com> writes:
And I'm sure people will want the option to retain WAL longer in the
master, to avoid an expensive resync if the slave falls behind. It would be simple to provide a GUC option for "always retain X GB of old WAL in
pg_xlog".

Right, we would want to provide some more configurability on the
when-to-recycle-WAL decision than there is now.  But the basic point
is that I don't see the master pg_xlog as being a long-term archive.
The amount of back WAL that you'd want to keep there is measured in
minutes or hours, not weeks or months.

Could we add yet another postmaster specialized child to handle the archive, which would be like a default archive_command implemented in core. This separate process could then be responsible for feeding the slave(s) with the WAL history for any LSN not available in pg_xlog anymore.

The bonus would be to have a good reliable WAL archiving default setup for simple PITR and simple replication setups. One of the reasons PITR looks so difficult is that it involves reading a lot of documentation then hand-writing scripts even in the simple default case.

(If nothing else, there is no point in keeping so much WAL that catching
up by scanning it would take longer than taking a fresh base backup.
My impression from recent complaints about our WAL-reading speed is that
that might be a pretty tight threshold ...)

Could the design above make it so that your later PITR backup is always an option for setting up a WAL Shipping slave?

Regards,
--
dim