Tom Lane wrote:
Greg Smith <gsm...@gregsmith.com> writes:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:
Well, after an hour of tinkering with docbook DTDs and openjade I've given up on building docs for the patch I was reviewing on my Mac.

It's easier to get the whole chain working under Linux, but even that isn't trivial.

Really?  It's "just worked" for me on the last several Fedora releases.
You do need to install the docbook packages of course ...

Yes, that's my experience also.

In any case, you really don't need to build the docs to read them. You might not like SGML, but it's not *that* hard to understand. Surely our patch reviewers can read the SGML text.

Of course, we should check that the docs build cleanly after the patch is applied, but that's a different issue. As far as building goes, the CVS HEAD docs at <http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index.html> are rebuilt frequently, so we actually check as soon as the patch is applied.

cheers

andrew