Tom Lane wrote:
ANdreas Wenk <a.w...@netzmeister-st-pauli.de> writes:
actually I discovered that using \du and \dg in psql is providing the same result:

Yup.  The psql documentation says as much.

ok - got it ;-)

Should have read the psql docu ...

I am wondering why there is \dg at all.

Users and groups used to be distinct kinds of objects.  They aren't
anymore, but people might still be used to the old commands.

Yeah I know - but I was wondering if it would make sense to have \dg with a different result because here

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/role-membership.html

the people still read about group roles. I am not sure what is confusing here - in psql or in the docu.

                        regards, tom lane

Cheers

Andy
Cheers