I'm curious about the pg_regress change ... is it really necessary?

To test unaccent dictionary it's needed to input accented characters, not all encodings allow that. UTF8 allows that, but it doesn't compatible with a lot of locales. So, --no-locale should be propagated to CREATE DATABASE command as it's done for encoding.

AFAICS the changes to the core code are very small; I wonder if you
should commit it separately i.e. without the contrib module, and add the
that one in another commit.
Split patch to two parts:
filter_dictionary-0.1.gz - core changes, including pg_regress changes
unaccent-0.5.gz - contrib module

Also, I added some comments into code and did cosmetic changes in docs.

As for the contrib module, I think it could use a lot more function
header comments!  Also, it would be great if it could be used separately
from tsearch, i.e. that it provided a function unaccent(text) returns
text that unaccented arbitrary strings (I guess it would use the default
tsconfig).
Umm? Module provides unaccent(text) and unaccent(regdictionary, text) functions.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teo...@sigaev.ru
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/