Tom Lane wrote:
David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> writes:
I am not suggesting that this change be immediate, and it's not ivory
tower.  It's just how everybody else does it.

You keep saying that, and it's completely meaningless.  What do you know
about the development practices of Oracle, or DB2, or even Mysql?

The other point is that we don't change the on-disk format for fun, but for good reason. If it's going to get harder we'll pay a price. That doesn't mean we should go on as we have been, but just saying "we've been sloppy" is telling less than half the story. If one believes the rumors, Oracle at least has in the past paid dearly for supporting old formats.

cheers

andrew