Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net> wrote:
Good. I had a look at this for a little while yesterday. I built it, did an
install, loaded auto_explain and then ran the regression tests. I didn't
like the output much. It looks like the XML has been dumbed down to fit a
data model that works for JSON as well, particularly in the lack of use of
attributes. An XML processor won't care that much, but humans will certainly
find it more tiresome to read. In effect we are swapping horizontal
expansion for vertical expansion. It would be nicer to be able to fit a plan
into a screen.

Isn't that what text format is for?

Not that the XML format is perfect; I haven't heard one person say
that they like anything about it except that it is already
implemented.

Well, I don't think that the fact that we are producing machine-readable output means we can just ignore the human side of it. It is more than likely that such output will be read by both machines and humans. Obviously, we need to make sure that it meets machine processing needs first, but once we have done that we should not ignore the human requirements.

BTW, I think it's great that we have machine-readable formats. This opens the door to a lot of tools. Well done.

No doubt there will be disagreements about the formats. Our community certainly has a tendency to argue over matters of appearance, sometimes to the point of silliness. My understanding was that the idea of getting this in now was to let people have a look, and play to some extent.

cheers

andrew