Rob Wultsch wrote:
-1 PostgreSQL isn't MySQL!

For an insert with many columns or with large value this syntax can
significantly improve readability. So it wasn't invented here, so
what? I don't see a downside to allowing this syntax other than MySQL
used it first, and there are multiple upsides (readability, easier
transitions).

We don't mind things that aren't invented here at all. We have a whole bunch or Oracle compatibility stuff, and we adopted "DROP ... IF EXISTS ..." from MySQL. But we do prefer to use the standard syntax for any feature that it supports (for example, we rejected "connect by" in favor of the Standard) , and we're usually not terribly big on syntactic sugar.

That said, I don't have any very strong feelings against this proposal, if somebody wants to put the effort into making it possible.

cheers

andrew