Tom Lane wrote:
Greg Stark <gsst...@mit.edu> writes:
I agree with Tom's concerns -- think of that guy who was bumping up
against the 1600 column limit. At least if they're on one line you can
still see the structure of the query albeit with a very very wide
scrollbar...

But for typical queries I do agree one per line is better. That is
actually how I format my queries when they have complex expressions in
the target list. Perhaps formatting one per line whenever there's an
alias or the value is a complex expression but putting any unaliased
columns (such as produced by select *) in a single line would be a
good compromise?

Yeah, I was wondering about adopting some rule like that too.

It would be pretty easy to adjust that loop so that columns that aren't
simple Vars are put on their own line, while Vars are allowed to share
a line.  I dunno whether users would see that as inconsistent, though.

Yeah, probably, I don't like it much.

I do have a solution that wraps when running line length over 80 instead of on every col:

SELECT sh.shoename, sh.sh_avail, sh.slcolor, sh.slminlen,
   sh.slminlen * un.un_fact AS slminlen_cm, sh.slmaxlen,
   sh.slmaxlen * un.un_fact AS slmaxlen_cm, sh.slunit
  FROM shoe_data sh, unit un
 WHERE sh.slunit = un.un_name;

It's not a huge amount of code.

Maybe we need a couple of extra pg_get_viewdef() variants. One to wrap on some provided line length, one to wrap on every column. psql could use the first, pg_dump could use the second.

I really can't believe anyone wants a single line with 1600 column specs ...

cheers

andrew