Tom Lane wrote:

I was actually having second thoughts about the idea of using file
locking.  The only environment in which I've heard of file locks not
being trustworthy is NFS, and if you're running a DB on NFS you've
probably got worse problems than this one.  Notably, if you mistakenly
try to start postmasters on two different machines against the same
NFS-mounted directory, the PID-based interlock will certainly fail, while
file locking might save you.  So maybe we should take another look at
that.  Has anyone heard of other contexts in which file locks don't
work?  Has Windows got them?

Yes. But they are mandatory rather than advisory, I believe.

cheers

andrew