I can see the potential value of per-destination minimum message levels,
so maybe you should just propose that.  But this is a bad place for a
hook.

Features I tried to implement are following:

 * per-destination minimum message levels
 * per-destination log line prefix
       (syslog has their own prefix, but stderr has no default prefix)
 * per-category minimum message levels
       (don't write sql logs in syslog, but can write other LOGs)

I'll take a direction to make them into some pieces of core patches.

I have been working with josh tolley that changes some infrastructure around this, with one of the future goals to be able to implement just this kind of features. I need to merge some changes from josh, and will then try to post a wip patch as soon as possible. Please look at this one before you start working on this - probably theoverlap will be very large.

/Magnus