Tom,

I looked at EXPLAIN (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-explain.html) and there is not a single line of what you are talking about.
And the current syntax is just EXPLAIN [ ANALYZE ] [ VERBOSE ] /statement
/
If I try to decrypt what you said, you are looking at something like

COPY /tablename/ [ ( /column/ [, ...] ) ]
   FROM { '/filename/' | STDIN }
   [option1=value[,...]]

That would give something like:
COPY foo FROM 'input.txt' binary=on, oids=on, errors=skip, max_errors=10

If this is not what you are thinking, please provide an example.

Emmanuel
/

/
Emmanuel Cecchet <m...@asterdata.com> writes:
The new syntax could look like:

COPY /tablename/ [ ( /column/ [, ...] ) ]
    FROM { '/filename/' | STDIN }
    [ [, BINARY ]
      [, OIDS ]
      [, DELIMITER [ AS ] '/delimiter/' ]
      [, NULL [ AS ] '/null string/' ]
      [, CSV [ HEADER ]
[ QUOTE [ AS ] '/quote/' ] [ ESCAPE [ AS ] '/escape/' ]
             [ FORCE NOT NULL (/column/ [, ...]) ]
[, ERRORS { SKIP | LOG INTO { tablename | 'filename' }
                    [ LABEL label_name ]
                    [ KEY key_name ]
                    [ MAX ERRORS /count/ ] } ]

Is this what you had in mind?

No. because that doesn't do a darn thing to make the option set less
hard-wired into the syntax.  I was thinking of a strict keyword/value
format with non-wired-in keywords ... and only *one* keyword per value.
See EXPLAIN.

Emmanuel Cecchet
Aster Data Systems
Web: http://www.asterdata.com