Tom Lane wrote:

psql has MORE need to support old syntax than the backend does, because
it's supposed to work against old servers.

I wonder though if we couldn't simplify matters.  Offhand it seems to me
that psql doesn't need to validate the command's syntax fully.  All it
really needs to do is find the target filename and replace it with
STDIN/STDOUT.  Could we have it just treat the remainder of the line
literally, and not worry about the details of what the options might be?
Let the backend worry about throwing an error if they're bad.

Makes plenty of sense.

On a related topic, I'm not sure how we would go about providing psql support for the suggested copy-as-from-target feature that's been discussed recently. That could get mildly ugly.

cheers

andrew