On Sep 20, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

That recipe doesn't actually work for cases like this.  What *would*
work is loading the module *before* restoring from your old dump,
then relying on the CREATEs from the incoming dump to fail.

Jesus this is hacky, either way. :-(

I believe we have already discussed the necessity for pg_upgrade to
support this type of subterfuge.  A module facility would be a lot
better of course, but we still need something for upgrading existing
databases that don't contain the module structure.

Yeah, it's past time for a real module facility.

Best,

David