decibel wrote:

> So while something that makes it easier to clean out the end of a
> table would be good, I think the critical need is a way to make
> vacuum more aggressive about obtaining the exclusive lock.

I wonder if we should have a different mode of operation that only
attempted the truncate (say VACUUM TRUNCATE), optionally being
non-conditional about obtaining the required lock.  That said, I wonder
even more whether any such hacks are still needed after the visilibity
map that changed the landscape for vacuum so dramatically.