On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:24 PM, David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 01:16:50PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Marko Tiikkaja <marko.tiikk...@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:
If I understood you correctly, this would imply that you wouldn't
be able to do for example:

INSERT INTO foo
WITH t AS ( DELETE FROM bar RETURNING * )
SELECT * FROM t;

Um ... forget what I said --- not enough caffeine yet, apparently.

Yeah, rewrite rules are going to be a *serious* stumbling block to
this whole concept.

Maybe we should just punt the project until we have a clear idea of
how to do that.

This was discussed a bit upthread and doesn't seem obviously unmanageable to me.

Maybe rewrite rules just don't fit with this feature, and should cause
an error.  We have other things that don't work together, and the
world hasn't ended yet.

That doesn't seem very satisfactory.

...Robert