David Fetter wrote:
Folks,

As we move forward, we run into increasingly complex situations under
the general rubric of concurrency.

What test frameworks are already out there that we can use in our
regression test suite?  If there aren't any, how might we build one?

Not entirely on-topic, but I thought I'd chime in:

After seeing the results from the hungarian blogger whose name I can't find [1] and quite a bit of discussion in the german usergroup before that I wanted to see how hard it would be to actually implement a framework to automate performance test runs.

I mainly used it as a reason to have a look at Moose [2], but since it was quite entertaining so far and I don't see any roadblocks I think I'll follow through.

Design Targets:

*) OO Design so it's easily pluggable, extensible (& testable ?)
*) Standalone CLI mode as well as daemonized "benchmark client" (think buildfarm) *) Automate all aspects of benchmark operation, starting with a clean slate and (optionally) returning to same
*) Extensible Benchmark system, currently thinking about:
*) Synthetic cpu/memory/disk benchmarks (for evaluating and verifying the performance baseline of a given system, probably sysbench?)
  *) pgbench
  *) Whatever is freely available in the DBT/TPC environment
*) As discussed, custom benchmarks testing specific subsystems with high concurrency/throughput, would need a proper tool I presume

Currently it doesn't do much more than building branches and creating clusters, but I guess I'll have something rudimentarily usable by mid november.

I haven't thought about result aggregation & rendering/UI part of the whole thing so far, so if anyone has some ideas in that direction they'd be very much appreciated when the time has come.

If I duplicated someones efforts already I'm sorry, I didn't want to raise anybodys hopes before I was sure that I really want to do this ;).

best regards,
Michael

[1] http://suckit.blog.hu/2009/09/26/postgresql_history
[2] http://www.iinteractive.com/moose/