On 10/14/2009 05:33 PM, Dave Page wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Kevin Grittner
<kevin.gritt...@wicourts.gov>  wrote:
Can they check the box if the provided clients include password
strength checking?  I'm just wondering if we're going at this the hard
way, if that really is the main goal.
No. Any checks at the client are worthless, as they can be bypassed by
10 minutes worth of simple coding in any of a dozen or more languages.

Why care? If the client is purposefully disabling passwords checks to use a "weak" password - this is an entirely different problem from somebody trying a weak password and being allowed. Circumvention of process is always a risk, and should be dealt with as a human resources problem. Why not stop the admin from disabling the security check when they create their pgadmin password too? We can't trust anybody - right?

PAM does security checking client-side I think? I'm sure others do too?

I'm not saying server checks are worthless - but I think you are exaggerating to say that client checks are worthless. Sending the password in cleartext via SQL seems bad. Sending it encoded seems only marginally better. Sending it in MD5 is good but means that password strength needs to be done by the client. You are saying that it's worth the loss of security in one area, to improve security in another. Providing client checks in the "official" clients is probably sufficient for your checkbox that you think is so important. Unless you think it is impossible to circumvent process in any of these "other" databases that do such a better job?

Personally, I don't think PostgreSQL is the best place to manage passwords at this level anyways, beyond the basic usage. PostgreSQL shouldn't need to know the password, and the password should still be required to as strong as the organization requires it. Lots of other solutions here - PAM, LDAP, Kerberos, ... How much of these solutions should PostgreSQL re-implement?

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<m...@mielke.cc>