* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> I think there are basically three behaviors that we could offer:
>
> 1. Resolve ambiguous names as plpgsql (historical PG behavior)
> 2. Resolve ambiguous names as query column (Oracle behavior)
> 3. Throw error if name is ambiguous (useful for finding problems)

4. Resolve ambiguous names as query column, but throw warning

#4 would be my vote, followed by #3.  To be perfectly honest, I'd be a
whole lot happier with a pl/pgsql that let me prefix variable names with
a '$' or similar to get away from this whole nonsense.  I've been very
tempted to tell everyone I work with to start prefixing their variables
names with '_' except that it ends up looking just plain ugly.

        Thanks,

                Stephen