On Oct 26, 2009, at 1:21 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

A lambda facility would require being able to pass arguments and return
results, which we intentionally left out of DO to keep it simple.  By
the time you add all that notation, it's far from clear that you
shouldn't just define a function.

Well sometimes I want to do something like that as an expression, rather than having to write a separate statement that declares a function.

Also, DO is (intended to be) optimized for execute-once behavior.
A lambda block inside a query shouldn't assume that. So it would not be the same facility from either a syntax or an implementation standpoint.

Perhaps lambda isn't the proper term.

Best,

David