On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Kevin Grittner wrote:

We do find the include capabilities useful.  For example, for our 72
production servers for county Circuit Court systems, we copy an
identical postgresql.conf file to each county, with the last line
being an include to an overrides conf file in /etc/.  For most
counties that file is empty.  For counties where we've installed extra
RAM or where data is not fully cached, we override settings like
effective_cache_size or the page costs.  I can't see where any of the
options under discussion would do much to help an environment like
ours -- they seem more likely to help shops with fewer servers or more
relaxed deployment procedures.

That's exactly a use case the "parsing config files in a directory" feature aims to make easier to manage. You can just mix and match files that adjust a subset of the postgresql.conf without having to explicitly include them. For this sort of situation, you could create a base set of configuration changes, then a set that customizes for less common server configurations, and possibly even server-specific ones. Copy in the subset from that master list of possible configuration sets that apply to this server and you're done.

Since variations on this feedback keep coming up, let's be be clear here: there is nothing this patch aims to add you can't already do with include files. It's just a way to make more aggressive use of include files easier to manage, and therefore make doing so in the default configuration less objectionable.

--
* Greg Smith gsm...@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD