Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> writes:
Tom Lane escribió:
Yeah.  Although the project policy is that we don't require Perl to
build on Unix, there was a bug in the makefiles that made it effectively
required, and nobody noticed for several years.  I don't think it would
be a hard sell to change that policy if we got a significant benefit out
of it.  (Depending on non-core Perl modules is a totally different thing
though.)

Well, this is a pretty fortunate turn of events.  I had two paragraphs
in my original email that I edited out ("... so I'm not going to say
more") on how to workaround the lack of Perl.  If we're all OK now on
requiring some basic Perl installation then all the better.  I certainly
have no trouble with it.

Although actually, we could still keep that policy if Perl is needed to
build .bki files --- we just have to build those files in distprep and
ship them as part of tarballs.  It's already the case that you need Perl
to build from a CVS pull, it's only tarball users who don't need it.

That's all true. But maybe it's time to look again at this anyway. Perl is pretty darn ubiquitous these days. And awk-fu is getting rarer and rarer.

cheers

andrew