We should probably also log the fact that we ran out of room, so that
the DBA knows that they ahve a design issue.

Can't they just bump allowed memory and avoid a redesign?

Alternately, it would be great to have a configuration option which
would allow the DBA to choose any of 3 behaviors via GUC:

drop-oldest (as above)
drop-largest (if we run out of room, drop the largest payloads first to
save space)
error (if we run out of room, error and rollback)

I mentioned this up thread. I completely agree that overflow behavior should be tunable.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC