Tom Lane wrote:
In any case
there will certainly always be *some* postmaster messages that could
be emitted after setting the log_destination GUC and before launching
the syslogger child.  If the designed behavior is that we dump to
stderr during that interval, we should just do it, without the useless
and confusing bleating.

I'm fine with that. I don't remember whether I put that in or whether it came from the original patch author(s). Either way, I assume the reason was to explain why the message appeared on stderr rather than the CSVlog. Now we have a couple of years of experience with CSVlog I agree it's not needed (if it were we'd probably have had more complaints like yours anyway).

cheers

andrew