ts_headline calls ts_lexize equivalent to break the text. Off course there is algorithm to process the tokens and generate the headline. I would be really surprised if the algorithm to generate the headline is somehow dependent on language (as it only processes the tokens). So Oleg is right when he says ts_lexize is something to be checked.

ts_lexize performs well for all dictionaries, nothing to see here.
It's ts_headline that's causing the problem. But that's just IMHO.

I will try to replicate what you are trying to do but in the meantime can you run the same ts_headline under psql multiple times and paste the result.

All the results I pasted had the medium run time out of multiple calls. These were certainly not some extreme corner cases.

cheers,
Wojciech Knapik