Tom Lane wrote:
"Florian G. Pflug" <f...@phlo.org> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
This is still ignoring the complaint: you are creating a clear
risk that COMMIT PREPARED will fail.

I'd see no problem with "COMMIT PREPARED" failing, as long as it
was possible to retry the COMMIT PREPARED at a later time. There
surely are other failure cases for COMMIT PREPARED too, like an IO
error that prevents the clog bit from being set, or a server crash
half-way through COMMIT PREPARED.

Yes, there are failure cases that are outside our control.  That's no
 excuse for creating one that's within our control.

True. On the other hand, people might prefer having to deal with (very
unlikely) COMMIT PREPARED *transient* failures over not being able to
use NOTIFY together with 2PC at all. Especially since any credible
distributed transaction manager has to deal with COMMIT PREPARED
failures anyway.

Just my $0.02, though.

best regards,
Florian Pflug