On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

Oleg Bartunov <o...@sai.msu.su> writes:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
What's your locale environment?  ("env | grep ^L" would help.)

LC_COLLATE=ru_RU.KOI8-R
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R

Hmm, I can duplicate the fact that psql -l uses utf8 characters
(because it connects to the postgres DB which has utf8 encoding)
but for me, ordinary selects within psql use the utf8 characters
too.  Do you perhaps have something in ~/.psqlrc to force a different
client encoding?

yes, set client_encoding to KOI8;

but it never hurts me ! I tried to comment it, but it doesn't helped.
Notice, psql from 8.4 works nice.

                        regards, tom lane

        Regards,
                Oleg