Scrappy wrote:
is there a reason why we can't follow a similar 4+3 life cycle? packagers r produced for the first 4y after .0 release and only source updates for year 5 thru 7?

if we could advertise such on the web, there would be no question as to when bug reports are accepted (n+4y) and when only security ... and after y7, it's just not supported at all ...

that would kill packager requirements on 8.0, 8.1 (as of last month) and totally kill 7.4 as of nov '10

What packagers produce is surely up to them. If RedHat or Devrim or Dave want to produce a package that's their prerogative.

And IMNSHO 4 years is too short a period for non-security bugs. We have seen odd behaviour issues past those dates.

The time between these periodic debates seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

cheers

andrew