On 15.12.09 23:38 , Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut<pete...@gmx.net>  writes:
So to summarize, this is just a bad idea.  Creating a less obscure
way to use -Werror might be worthwhile, though.

I suppose we could add "--with-Werror" but it seems pretty
specialized to me.  A more appropriate solution would allow the user
to provide flags that get added to CFLAGS only after we do all the
configure tests (implying that it's on the user's head that these
flags are right and don't break anything, but then again that's
pretty much true of up-front CFLAGS too).  And that basically
describes COPTS ... the only thing lacking is documentation.

For what it's worth, I agree. Though we might want to arrange for
configure to store the value of COPT somewhere so that
  COPT="-Werror" ./configure
  make
works which it currently doesn't seem to.

best regards,
Florian Pflug