While regular ANALYZE seems to be pretty good ... is it insane to
suggest determining the min/max bounds of problem columns by looking at
a btree index on the column in ANALYZE, instead of relying on random
data sampling? An ANALYZE that didn't even have to scan the indexes but
just look at the ends might be something that could be run much more
frequently with less I/O and memory cost than a normal ANALYZE, just to
selectively update key stats that are an issue for such continuously
advancing columns.

... which Tom Lane already raised in a smarter way in a message I hadn't read yet. Sorry for the noise.

--
Craig Ringer