Arie Bikker wrote:
Hi all,

Well I had to burn some midnight oil trying to figure out why a construct like
SELECT xpath('name()','<a/>');
doesn't give the expected result. Kept getting an empty array:
  xpath
-------------
{}
instead of the expected "{a}"
BugID 4294 and the TODO item "better handling of XPath data types" pointed in the right direction. whithin src/backend/utils/adt/xml.c in the function xpath the result of the call to xmlXPathCompiledEval is not handled optimally. In fact, the result is assumed to be a nodeset without consulting the ->type member of the result. I've made some minor changes to xml.c to handle some non-nodeset results of xmlXPathCompiledEval. Essentially, the revised code makes an array of all the nodes in the xpathobj result in case this is a nodeset, or an array with a single element in case the reult is a number/string/boolean. The problem cases mentioned in http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-06/msg00616.php now work as expected.
Revision of the code involves:
- A switch statement to handle the result type of xmlXPathCompiledEval.
- an additional function xmlpathobjtoxmltype.

diff of the revisioned code with respect to original is in attached file.

kind regards, Arie Bikker

Well that's interesting. I was getting ready to dig into libxml2 to see what it would take to return scalar values from xpath expressions. Thanks.

Scott