On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 10:24 +0530, Dave Page wrote:
> 2010/1/12 Matteo Beccati <p...@beccati.com>:
> > So, I've decided to spend a bit more time on this and here is a proof of
> > concept web app that displays mailing list archives reading from the AOX
> > database:
> >
> > http://archives.beccati.org/
>
> Seems to work.
>
> > Please take it as an exercise I've made trying to learn how to use symfony
> > this afternoon. It's not feature complete, nor probably very scalable, but
> > at least it features attachment download ;)
> >
> > http://archives.beccati.org/pgsql-hackers/message/37
>
> :-)
>
> So just to put this into perspective and give anyone paying attention
> an idea of the pain that lies ahead should they decide to work on
> this:
>
> - We need to import the old archives (of which there are hundreds of
> thousands of messages, the first few years of which have, umm, minimal
> headers.
> - We need to generate thread indexes
> - We need to re-generate the original URLs for backwards compatibility
>
> Now there's encouragement :-)

Or, we just leave the current infrastructure in place and use a new one
for all new messages going forward. We shouldn't limit our ability to
have a decent system due to decisions of the past.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or