Hi,

I read the thread "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal"
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-08/msg01371.php .

I would like to try/integrate that patch as we use CLUSTER a lot on our system.

I was going to try to add the proper cost_index/cost_sort calls to decide which
"path" should be executed, as in:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-09/msg00517.php

I don't think it will be easy without help... I'll ask here a lot I'm afraid...

About that patch:

1) would it be possible to use the tuplesort_*tupleslot set of functions
instead of writing new ones for HeapTuple? That is: is it that
difficult/impossible/nonsense to construct TupleTableSlot from HeapTuple and
use those?

2) The patch doesn't check "HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum" before passing it to
tuplesort_putrawtuple: would it be reasonable to check the "isdead" flag before
calling tuplesort_putrawtuple for each tuple?

Sorry if I talked nonsense...

Leonardo