> First, you can't just remove support for the escape syntax from \d
> commands without some discussion of whether or not that's the right
> thing to do, and I don't think it is.  The cases where this will
> potentially cause a problem are limited to those where the input is
> invalidly encoded, and I don't think that's important enough to
> justify the surprise factor of having backslash commands behave
> differently from everything else.
>
> Second, even if it were OK to remove support for the escape syntax
> from \d commands, you failed to update the documentation you cribbed
> from my patch to match the behavior you implemented.

we can discus about programming style, but in this case I am sure. The
problem is \set command. We cannot ignore error in this case. In other
cases invalid escaping raises error, not in this case. So there is two
ways again:

a) remove escaped expansion from \command
b) implement \set command differently

> Third, you've reintroduced all of the code duplication that I
> eliminated in my version of this patch, as well as at least one bug -
> you've used free() where I believe you need PQfreemem().

you have a true.

I am also
> thinking that it doesn't make sense to push the result of
> PQescapeLiteral() or PQescapeIdentifier() as a new buffer, because we
> don't want to process variable expansions recursively.  At first I
> thought this was a security hole, but on further reflection I don't
> think it is: it'll rescan as a quoted string anyway, so any
> colon-escapes will be ignored.  But I believe it's unnecessary at any
> rate.

I think so it was a back door for scripting support in psql. It can
break backward compatibility!

> I would like to go ahead and commit my version of this patch and will
> do so later today if no one else objects.

yes, I have.

* your patch remove some feature without any warning and documentation
* your patch doesn't solve issue with \set command

Regards
Pavel

> ...Robert

*** ./doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml.orig	2009-12-25 00:36:39.000000000 +0100
--- ./doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml	2010-01-28 16:57:15.016331154 +0100
***************
*** 658,664 ****
      <para>
      If an unquoted argument begins with a colon (<literal>:</literal>),
      it is taken as a <application>psql</> variable and the value of the
!     variable is used as the argument instead.
      </para>

      <para>
--- 658,669 ----
      <para>
      If an unquoted argument begins with a colon (<literal>:</literal>),
      it is taken as a <application>psql</> variable and the value of the
!     variable is used as the argument instead.  If the variable name is
!     surrounded by single quotes (e.g. <literal>:'var'</literal>), it
!     will be escaped as an SQL literal and the result will be used as
!     the argument.  If the variable name is surrounded by double quotes,
!     it will be escaped as an SQL identifier and the result will be used
!     as the argument.
      </para>

      <para>
***************
*** 2711,2728 ****
      <para>
      An additional useful feature of <application>psql</application>
      variables is that you can substitute (<quote>interpolate</quote>)
!     them into regular <acronym>SQL</acronym> statements. The syntax for
!     this is again to prepend the variable name with a colon
      (<literal>:</literal>):
  <programlisting>
  testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set foo 'my_table'</userinput>
  testdb=&gt; <userinput>SELECT * FROM :foo;</userinput>
  </programlisting>
!     would then query the table <literal>my_table</literal>. The value of
!     the variable is copied literally, so it can even contain unbalanced
!     quotes or backslash commands. You must make sure that it makes sense
!     where you put it. Variable interpolation will not be performed into
!     quoted <acronym>SQL</acronym> entities.
      </para>

      <para>
--- 2716,2750 ----
      <para>
      An additional useful feature of <application>psql</application>
      variables is that you can substitute (<quote>interpolate</quote>)
!     them into regular <acronym>SQL</acronym> statements.
!     <application>psql</application> provides special facilities for
!     ensuring that values used as SQL literals and identifiers are
!     properly escaped.  The syntax for interpolating a value without
!     any special escaping is again to prepend the variable name with a colon
      (<literal>:</literal>):
  <programlisting>
  testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set foo 'my_table'</userinput>
  testdb=&gt; <userinput>SELECT * FROM :foo;</userinput>
  </programlisting>
!     would then query the table <literal>my_table</literal>. Note that this
!     may be unsafe: the value of the variable is copied literally, so it can
!     even contain unbalanced quotes or backslash commands. You must make sure
!     that it makes sense where you put it.
!     </para>
!
!     <para>
!     When a value is to be used as an SQL literal or identifier, it is
!     safest to arrange for it to be escaped.  To escape the value of
!     a variable as an SQL literal, write a colon followed by the variable
!     name in single quotes.  To escape the value an SQL identifier, write
!     a colon followed by the variable name in double quotes.  The previous
!     example would be more safely written this way:
! <programlisting>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set foo 'my_table'</userinput>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>SELECT * FROM :"foo";</userinput>
! </programlisting>
!     Variable interpolation will not be performed into quoted
!     <acronym>SQL</acronym> entities.
      </para>

      <para>
***************
*** 2730,2769 ****
      copy the contents of a file into a table column. First load the file into a
      variable and then proceed as above:
  <programlisting>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set content '''' `cat my_file.txt` ''''</userinput>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>INSERT INTO my_table VALUES (:content);</userinput>
! </programlisting>
!     One problem with this approach is that <filename>my_file.txt</filename>
!     might contain single quotes. These need to be escaped so that
!     they don't cause a syntax error when the second line is processed. This
!     could be done with the program <command>sed</command>:
! <programlisting>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set content '''' `sed -e "s/'/''/g" &lt; my_file.txt` ''''</userinput>
! </programlisting>
!     If you are using non-standard-conforming strings then you'll also need
!     to double backslashes.  This is a bit tricky:
! <programlisting>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set content '''' `sed -e "s/'/''/g" -e 's/\\/\\\\/g' &lt; my_file.txt` ''''</userinput>
  </programlisting>
!     Note the use of different shell quoting conventions so that neither
!     the single quote marks nor the backslashes are special to the shell.
!     Backslashes are still special to <command>sed</command>, however, so
!     we need to double them.  (Perhaps
!     at one point you thought it was great that all Unix commands use the
!     same escape character.)
      </para>

      <para>
!     Since colons can legally appear in SQL commands, the following rule
!     applies: the character sequence
!     of a variable that is currently set. In any case you can escape
!     a colon with a backslash to protect it from substitution. (The
!     colon syntax for variables is standard <acronym>SQL</acronym> for
      embedded query languages, such as <application>ECPG</application>.
      The colon syntax for array slices and type casts are
      <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> extensions, hence the
!     conflict.)
      </para>

     </refsect3>
--- 2752,2777 ----
      copy the contents of a file into a table column. First load the file into a
      variable and then proceed as above:
  <programlisting>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>\set content `cat my_file.txt`</userinput>
! testdb=&gt; <userinput>INSERT INTO my_table VALUES (:'content');</userinput>
  </programlisting>
!     (Note that this still won't work if my_file.txt contains NUL bytes.
!     psql does not support embedded NUL bytes in variable values.)
      </para>

      <para>
!     Since colons can legally appear in SQL commands, an apparent attempt
!     at interpolation (such as <literal>:name</literal>,
!     changed unless the named variable is currently set. In any case you
!     can escape a colon with a backslash to protect it from substitution.
!     (The colon syntax for variables is standard <acronym>SQL</acronym> for
      embedded query languages, such as <application>ECPG</application>.
      The colon syntax for array slices and type casts are
      <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> extensions, hence the
!     conflict.  The colon syntax for escaping a variable's value as an
!     SQL literal or identifier is a <application>psql</application>
!     extension.)
      </para>

     </refsect3>
*** ./src/bin/psql/psqlscan.l.orig	2010-01-02 17:57:59.000000000 +0100
--- ./src/bin/psql/psqlscan.l	2010-01-29 08:03:11.841025194 +0100
***************
*** 119,124 ****
--- 119,126 ----
  static void emit(const char *txt, int len);
  static bool is_utf16_surrogate_first(uint32 c);

+ static char *take_variable_name(const char *src, int len);
+
  #define ECHO emit(yytext, yyleng)

  %}
***************
*** 707,712 ****
--- 709,803 ----
  					}
  				}

+ :'[A-Za-z0-9_]+'	{
+ 					/* Possible psql variable substitution */
+ 					const char *value;
+ 					char	*varname = take_variable_name(yytext, yyleng);
+
+ 					value = GetVariable(pset.vars, varname);
+
+ 					if (value)
+ 					{
+ 						/* It is a variable, perform substitution */
+ 						char	*escaped_value;
+
+ 						escaped_value = PQescapeLiteral(pset.db, value, strlen(value));
+ 						if (escaped_value != NULL)
+ 						{
+ 							push_new_buffer(escaped_value);
+ 							PQfreemem(escaped_value);
+ 						}
+ 						else
+ 						{
+ 							const char *error_message = PQerrorMessage(pset.db);
+
+ 							if (strlen(error_message))
+ 								psql_error("%s", error_message);
+
+ 							/*
+ 							 * when we cannot copy escaped string, then copy
+ 							 * the string as as
+ 							 */
+ 							ECHO;
+ 						}
+ 						/* yy_scan_string already made buffer active */
+ 					}
+ 					else
+ 					{
+ 						/*
+ 						 * if the variable doesn't exist we'll copy the
+ 						 * string as is
+ 						 */
+ 						ECHO;
+ 					}
+
+ 					free(varname);
+ 				}
+
+ :\"[A-Za-z0-9_]+\"	{
+ 					/* Possible psql variable substitution */
+ 					const char *value;
+ 					char	*varname = take_variable_name(yytext, yyleng);
+
+ 					value = GetVariable(pset.vars, varname);
+
+ 					if (value)
+ 					{
+ 						/* It is a variable, perform substitution */
+ 						char	*escaped_value;
+
+ 						escaped_value = PQescapeIdentifier(pset.db, value, strlen(value));
+ 						if (escaped_value != NULL)
+ 						{
[...]
  	/*
  	 * Back to backend-compatible rules.
  	 */
***************
*** 1740,1742 ****
--- 1831,1851 ----
  {
  	return (c >= 0xD800 && c <= 0xDBFF);
  }
+
+ /*
+  * remove colon and outer qoutes from text
+  *
+  */
+ static char *
+ take_variable_name(const char *src, int len)
+ {
+ 	char	*result;
+
+ 	result = pg_malloc(len - 2);
+
+ 	/* skip first two chars (colon, quote) and stop before last char (quote) */
+ 	memcpy(result, src + 2, len - 3);
+ 	result[len - 3] = '\0';
+
+ 	return result;