Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
I'm absolutely aware I can't ask features unless someone is willing
to implement them or is paid for... but the easier/cheaper it is to
build up a dev/test environment the more people will try to
build/test something for postgres.

I do all my build/test work on Ubuntu using my peg tool: http://github.com/gregs1104/peg specifically because I find it such a giant pain to deal with the Debian packaging when developing. It does all of the things you're complaining take too long to setup just for development work. Dump the whole working tree in your home directory, build and test everything there, avoid the whole mess of what the OS install cares about. Once I've got something that works, only then do I bother figuring out how I'm going to get that integrated back into the packaging system's PostgreSQL install.

The difficulties in making modules generally easier to install are well understood, and many people have been working on potential improvements to that whole situation for a while now. It's a hard problem though.

g...@2ndquadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com