On Feb 1, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I would love to know why PL/Python can't be incrementally improved like
> the rest of our code.

AFAICT, there are two primary, perhaps identifying, parts to a PL extension:
code management (compilation, execution, etc) and type I/O (conversion in most
PLs). (well, aside from the language itself =)

My proposed extension chooses a different design for both of those parts.

It didn't make sense to try and incrementally change PL/Python because I would
have been rewriting the whole thing anyways. Not to mention breaking user code
in the process for the mentioned parts--thus the Python 3 target.

Hope this clears things up.