The only sane things to check out apart from HEAD are normally the STABLE branches. For release m.n those are always called RELm_n_STABLE. You can also get the tag set for a specific release. Those are called RELm_n_o for m.n.o releases.

If you look at the output for "cvs log configure.in" you can see near the top a list of tag sets under the heading "symbolic names".

HTH.

M Z wrote:
For example, how can I list all the branches for postgresql 8.3 (and 8.4)? Now I can checkout code using: cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs:passw...@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co -P pgsql

But I don't know when version it is, and I want get code from some postgresql 8.3 and 8.4 branches but I don't know the their cvsroot

Thanks
M Z