Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
(please Cc me on replies, I am not subscribed)

Hi,

libpq currently does not use TCP keepalives.  This is a problem in our
case where we have some clients waiting for notifies and then the
connection is dropped on the server side.  The client never gets the FIN
and thinks the connection is up.  The attached patch unconditionally
adds keepalives.  I chose unconditionally as this is what the server
does.  We didn't need the ability to tune the timeouts, but that could
be added with reasonable ease.

ISTM that the default behavior should be keep alives disabled, as it is now, and those wanting it can just set it in their apps:

setsockopt(PQsocket(conn), SOL_SOCKET, SO_KEEPALIVE, ...)

If you really want libpq to manage this, I think you need to expose the probe interval and timeouts. There should be some platform checks as well. Check out...

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg128603.html

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC