Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Jeff Davis wrote:
So, I think ASCII is the natural choice here.

It's not worth hanging up this facility over this issue, ISTM. If we want something more that ASCII then a base64 or hex encoded string could possibly meet the need in the first instance.

Yeah, that would serve people who want to push either binary or
non-ASCII data through the pipe.  It would leave all risks of encoding
problems on the user's head, though.

True. It's a workaround, but I think it's acceptable at this stage. We need to get some experience with this facility before we can refine it.

cheers

andrew