David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Feb 13, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

To perform initialisation, such as setting a value in %_SHARED.

Hrm. Well, as a DBA, I'd *really* like to be able to make some things available
from within a Safe container, such as Devel::NYTProf::PgPLPerl or the
PostgreSQL::PLPerl::Call module that Tim's working on. Right now I can do that
by hacking warnings.pm directly or by the method you  figured out a few weeks
ago, which isn't really all that nasty.

I'm not sure that Tim's interface is the best approach to giving DBAs the
ability to do this from within PostgreSQL, but I'm hard-pressed to come up with
a better interface. But I do think it should be allowed.

I am not saying we shouldn't. But that's a new feature, and we do have a process to follow. I think it's long past the time when we can accept new features which have had almost no discussion.

And I am saying that any facility we provide for it has to be known and documented.

Clearly there are modules which could probably be used with reasonable safety. Math::BigInt and MIME::Base64 are examples that come to mind as likely candidates.

But I am not prepared to commit a patch providing this facility based on just having a variable declared using "use vars" rather than "my", without a word in the docs, and with almost no discussion on -hackers, and that discussion starting two weeks after the start of the final commitfest. That's just not the way we do things round here, AIUI.

cheers

andrew